Saturday, January 7, 2012

Perspective

Ahhh (relaxing sigh, not a 'Home Alone'-esque exclamation)

I am just settling in for the night after a long and wonderful day at the Brockett's (aka Daniel's parents) home. I am blogging whilst propped up in bed, surrounded by the people (3 furry babies and Daniel) I love most dearly. My dogs are napping quietly on the bed all around me and Daniel is listening to an audiobook and painting. This is the perfect ending to a beautiful day:)

Since honesty is the best policy, I will begin by admitting that yesterday I acted a fool. My fiance is the nicest, most accomodating partner that one could really ever ask for, and somehow I am lucky enough that he loves me and is always willing to do anything to make me happy. Yesterday, like everyday, was one of those days on which he wanted to make me happy by cooking us both breakfast before HE left for a 10 hour work day. We decided to have toast with Nutella (mmm) and banana on top. So, as I was selfishly getting ready in the bathroom (for nothing, I might add...) Daniel was making our breakfast. Soon, we were both sitting down to eat our beautiful meal, complete with orange juice for him and apple for me. As I took my first bite, I realized and said outloud, "Oh, this bread isn't toasted. I didn't want just bread... I wanted toast" and proceeded to throw what I can only describe as an adult temper tantrum.

Thereby, once again displaying my uncanny ability to be the biggest bitch in the world for no good reason at the expense of the kindest man in existence.

Now, looking back, the untoasted bread was really a non-issue... I can now ashamedly admit that it would not have made a difference one way or the other-toasted or untoasted- but, in that moment, and because I am a miserable person, I decided that it did matter and commenced looking disappointed and insisted that I had to have toast, which of course made my sweet sweet Daniel feel like his beautiful breakfast was inadequate. My sour attitude and overall inability to take even the most minor unexpected situations (bread I thought would be toast being bread) in stride must change. And besides the fact that it puts a bad spin on a perfectly good day for both Daniel and myself, it's juvenile and ridiculous that I should not be able to make the best of any situation at my age and in my adult relationship with someone I care very much about... and about fucking toast. Bread. Whatever!

People end relationships for all sorts of reasons and I would never want Daniel to resent me when the only disagreements we ever end up having are because of my personal failures to cope with slightly disappointing or stressful situations. I want him to be able to count on me and rest assured that I am not going to just make a huge deal out of the tiniest of details or something not going the way I had expected it to. I mean, what about when we have children?

This is just one of the many reasons I must gain perspective in my life.

In honor of putting the 'Toast (bread) debacle of 2012' behind me, I am really making a conscious effort to put things into perspective daily in order to teach myself to pay attention to the things that are important and to let those that are not as important slide off my back if I need to. Accept that things aren't perfect and move on. Most importantly, I want to always remember that this relationship I have is earned and he puts in the hard work to please me, so I should do the same to keep us both happy in our lives.

Anyway, thanks for listening, because that's been on my mind since yesterday. Now, onto the real fun! Our day at the Brockett's! I love going out to their property because it is off the beaten path, we get to bring our puppies to lots of land so they can run around to their heart's content, and I always feel very grateful to be in such good company because Daniel's parents are the best. With my new found perspective in mind, here are several pictures I took to remember our day by:)

Yes, Daniel made this and yes, it was perfect;)


Calla, backseat driver


Dora, cool with whatever

Olive and I on our way!








Rose

Olive, Calla and Pooh Bear

Perspective

Take Care.

No comments:

Post a Comment